Wednesday, April 6, 2011

THE BEGINNING: ONE OF THE FIRST SIMPLE CHURCH MEETINGS IN KENYA


THE FIRE HAS BEGUN IN KENYA! 

This is one of Jimmy's first reports of their first meeting, Early-Church Style, in Kenya that was written August 13, 2009. I remember this first report and how I thrilled with the news! Little did I know how fast this fire would spread. One brother referred to these believers and their new-found joy in meeting simply around the Lord Jesus Christ alone as "Foxes on Fire!" I love that! I picture these foxes with their tails on fire spreading the news of Jesus Christ throughout Kenya and Africa, and to our own shores here in America.   Since this initial report, Jimmy has planted 23 such "fired-up" fellowships and there is a team of like-minded, like-passioned fellow workers who are also planting such fellowships; and these beloved workers, these "foxes on fire," do need Bibles. The picture above is not of that meeting but of a more current one, but I thought it a good fit.  Here's Jimmy's report of that first meeting: 
 
The fire has begun in Kenya.
(Note: This is exactly what happened. We were given a lead on a brother by the name of Roger Thoman, a simple-church planter and trainer, who often went to Kenya. We contacted Roger and he met with the brothers in Kenya.  Roger's website is listed on our favorite websites as "Apple Seed Ministry.")    

Once again I want to sincerely thank you for standing with us in prayer last week when I requested for the same. I had no idea how our first Simple Church experience would be like. I’m so humbled as I report that your prayer for us was answered. Twenty people had agreed to attend; thirty six came! My living room was filled to capacity, with some standing by the door. I had asked the Holy Spirit to lead and He was so faithful. I bear witness to His almost tangible presence that nostalgic evening. Those two hours! Most of the people present were, like me, born and raised in church, while others gave their lives to Christ in high school or college. Sometimes back they stopped fellowshipping at their respective ‘churches’ because they found not what they were looking for. It’s worse when one is working or in business and gets regular income! Some backslid as others remained in their homes, wounded and confused.

I had asked favor from the Holy Spirit to help me not speak against the established church or going personal on any issue in this very important meeting. The Spirit led us! When we sang “Amazing Grace”, (which to me now is an anthem for sinners) everybody just stood and then knelt. We all wept so bitterly without anyone’s influence but the Holy Ghost Himself. He convicted us without any man’s or woman’s hand. This went on for over 45 minutes. We then held each other’s hands and just prayed for one another! It was so enriching. My goodness, this is what we had been looking for, some of us for so many years! There wasn’t any interruption. After this, Madam Priscah (a colleague) stood and read this scripture-2Cor 11:20-21 “In fact you put up with anyone who enslaves you or exploits you or takes advantage of you or pushes himself forward or slaps you in the face. To my shame I admit that we were too weak for that.”

This part of scripture came with so much force; the voice so clear, that the Lord had started a movement in this house, that will lead to a Revolution in the body of Christ in Kenya and Africa. We parted ways so lifted up, refreshed and enlightened.

Since schools had closed for the August holidays, I traveled to Kitui via Nairobi on Monday (the following day), on my way to visit my wife, Roseline, who is an accountant and works in the Eastern Province. Tuesday night we had a gathering in Nairobi city. I had phoned informing some friends about the simple church and my intention that we meet at one of my friends’ house. Twenty four people attended, among them two pastors. Unlike the meeting at my house, this had some challenges that I know the Spirit wanted me to be aware of. It almost became a bickering contest and I found myself engulfed in this morass. This group will be meeting Friday nights at a restaurant. I’m worried because I see narrow agenda within the group. This is why I think we need to training. We need to know how to handle simple church, being religious and artistic we are. We’re people that take things to the extreme; wrong things or right things. If the beginning/foundation be right, the right extremes will resound in every corner of this globe. As I prepare to host another meeting tomorrow down here in Kitui town, I’m praying for partnership with other parts of the world- brothers and sisters with experience in the simple church. I want them to come forth and help us.

I read about two young people staying with Jon Dale in the US, to learn and bring us what they’ve got. That’s great. It sounds wonderful coming to the West for training. People in Africa would love that! But I feel it would be more thoughtful if the West came to Africa and met us and talked to us in our homes, villages and cities. The impact would be more profound, am sure! These pioneers would go into annuls of history as people who wrought a new beginning in the body of Christ in Africa. This is what the Lord has put on my mind, and I know it’s the right path.

Jim.

No comments:

Post a Comment